Saturday 28 December 2013

WHEN DEATH BECOMES AN INSPIRATION TO LIVE

“Death is not a threat but the condition that maximizes my life”-Laura Rozo

My intention is not to sound pessimistic or dramatic in any way but reality always strikes. I remember playing as a kid with my friend Aziz, climbing mango trees, running around and doing just about everything that kids do. Hearing the news of his passing on at about 22 years of age saddens me. He was still a young man with a great future ahead. He still had so much to achieve in life. Anyway, who are we to question the law of death? It doesn't discriminate between young and old, rich and poor, elite and non elite. It comes without considering whether you have achieved much or little. It’s truly a thief that steals you from your loved ones. One fact remains; we shall all face the wrath of death.

As I remember my friend who has gone so soon, Laura Rozo’s  TEDx talk “If Not Now, When?” comes to mind. I’ll quote part of Laura’s talk to share her powerful thoughts with those who have not yet watched or listened to it.

“…….I tell you my story because I’m dying. The bad news is that you are dying too. The only difference between you and me is I know what’s killing me. The good news is that you don’t have to be diagnosed with cancer to claim your life. I tell you my story because the minute you realize that you will die, you’ll finally start living. You will take that leap. You will make that jump. You will fly. So, what makes you think that you have eighty or ninety years to live?…Seriously. There is enough time but none spare. If not now, when?”

Laura might be gone but she still lives on. Even to me who only got to know her through watching her TED talk. That talk has transformed my life. I know that one day, I too will be gone. Therefore, I have purposed to be happy, give my absolute best at everything that I do and do something that matters to me and to the world. When I finally leave this earth, I want to be remembered as someone who made a worthy contribution. I want to be remembered as someone whose life inspired at least one person. I want to be remembered as someone who successfully played his part and fulfilled his purpose on earth. How about you my friend? What are you living for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment