Sunday 6 July 2014

ONE KIND ACT THAT GOT ME THINKING

Today, I sit and reflect on how the first half of 2014 was. I remember the kindness and love that people showed me. The challenges I faced and opportunities that I either took up or let go. The promises I kept and those I did not keep. The goals I achieved and those that I am yet to achieve. But in particular, I remember a simple gesture that changed my life.

Some of my colleagues who visited me at home. Thank you guys
On January 17th this year, I was involved in an accident in which I fractured my left leg. For ten weeks I used crutches. That might sound like a short time but trust me, it was really long. Many colleagues visited me, called me up and sent me really sweet get well soon messages. The compassion exhibited by all my friends was just humbling. I am grateful and indebted to everyone for all your virtual and physical company during that time. One of the acts of kindness that really stands out was when I visited my workplace during my eighth week of recovery. By this time, I was in position to use public means because the cast was reduced to "below knee".

On my way back, I jumped off the taxi from the stage around Clock Tower. For anyone who has been from Kansanga heading to town, you will know how crazy riders and drivers are on this road. I couldn't cross the road because those motorists couldn't give me way. I stood for about five minutes contemplating on how to cross the road. Every time I would try to cross, some reckless motorist appeared and never gave me any chance. Any attempt to cross might have ended in another accident because my speed using crutches was low. After a long wait, a young man came over and greeted me. Like he had been observing whatever I was going through, he says to me, "Let's cross together". Wow, how kind of him!

This young man stands on my right hand side, stops the motorists and let's me pass. He does the same on the other side of the road. What a relief that was! I have never seen anyone do that. Well, except when primary kids are crossing. That guy changed me. His act of kindness transformed me. I do not remember who this guy is but who ever you are, you made me a better person on that day.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment