Thursday 3 July 2014

HOW MY DREAM OF GOING TO "OUTSIDE COUNTRIES" WAS ALMOST SHATTERED


Those things of travelling to "outside countries" can be good to hear about but hectic when preparing to make these trips. So I'm in a meeting with my boss when my phone rings. I move out, pick up this call and the sweet voice on the other end of the line asks, "Am I speaking to Ernest?", "Yes you are madam", I replied. "Please come by our offices tomorrow at 9 O'clcok for a repeat of your TB check up", she announced. When I asked her what the problem was, her simple reply was, "we do not discuss such information over the phone". I froze for a moment. I was dumbfounded and I started shaking in my pants (yes, I did shake). When I got back to the meeting, boss asks "Is everything okay Ernest?", my very brief answer was "Yes". From then on, I do not know what transpired throughout the meeting.


Picture from http://www.lung.ca/tb/abouttb/do_i_have/test.html
By 9 O'clock I was there awaiting my fate. I'm called into a private room and this beautiful lady calmly tells me, ".....your results yesterday were not good and the doctor has asked for a repeat". I took a deep breath, with my face buried in my hands and wondered if God had forsaken me. In the X-ray room, the radiographer does his thing and says to me, "I don't know what they (the doctors) saw yesterday, but let's hope for the best today". He concludes by saying, "I'm sorry my friend. These things happen and unfortunately I can do nothing about it". Really? This guy should have just shut his mouth up. I wasn't in the mood for hearing any consolations from any one. I was then told to come back at 2:00p.m for my final verdict. You can only guess how many prayers I said. 

It is now 2:00p.m and I'm in this air conditioned room. My palms were sweating like I was in a sauna. I took occasional deep breaths. At this point I remember saying to myself, "God, I need a miracle". And that was it. I am called to the doctors room. Something about this doctor; She was kind, sweet, humble, and very loving. "Make yourself comfortable Ernest", she tells me. "There was something unclear about your X-ray yesterday and that's why you were requested to come again today", she began. "It isn't anything to worry about. It was just the shadow of one of your ribs. Everything else is fine", she continued. At this point, I remember closing my eyes and saying "Thank you Lord". She smiled at me and asked me to wait for my "no TB found" certificate at the waiting area. You should have seen the relief on my face. Atleast my dream of going to outside countries is still alive. What happened after getting this certificate is a story for another day...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment