Monday 11 November 2013

A FIGHT TO REMEMBER

It is said that in the African setting, the entire village is responsible for bringing up a child. I am not sure that statement holds water today. The day had begun so well. The excitement of the holiday was just fresh. Thankfully, I had no homework and all day was planned for play, play and play. I got into an argument with Ayikobua. From exchanging simple words like “bad and silly” to words like “stupid and useless”, a fight ensued. Ayikobua threw a punch at me like he was Mohammad Ali. I responded with a flying kick like I was Bruce Lee. The fight got so nasty and I kicked Ayikobua right into the middle of the road. An old man riding his bike knocked him down. I celebrated my victory for a moment just before this guy jumped off his bike, picked up a stick, lay us down in the middle of the road and gave each of us three strokes of the cane each. That was really painful I must admit. “Now pick yourselves up and keep your friendship going”, he said to us in such a rough tone, “and I never want to find you fighting again”, he continued. Ayikobua and I have since been great friends. In fact, we never really fought again and for me, fighting has never been an option in solving a disagreement again. Well, may be just once when my friend Ian and I were about to beat up some guy called Phillip for being such a bully. But I feared because violence was not my thing anymore. 

Is it not amazing how kids never keep grudges. Fight, forgive and forget is what drives a child. This world would have so much peace if everyone had a childlike character; a strong spirit of forgiveness and reconciliation. 

8 comments:

  1. A nice example of how someone in your young life can put you on a better path in life.
    Thank you for sharing
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anni for reading. I appreciate your time and comment

      Delete
  2. I like your opening line. It would have been nice if you would have gotten back to that.
    One of the reasons I like it is because it what I often miss in our society. Kids often seem to think they can do whatever they please when they're out in the streets cause no one will interfere like that man on his bike.
    Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bianca, thanks for the insight. I should have related the post in one way or another to the opening line. I am grateful because it's through your comments that my writing can get better.

      Delete
    2. That's what we're there for, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
    3. I appreciate your feedback Bianca.

      Delete
  3. Such a funny story but rich with content and direction. So you are saying that Bruce Lee defeated Mohamad Ali! Anyway, I am just kidding. Please keep sharing these stories and the lessons you are learning. We are all learners.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete